photo aboutme_zpsb8b2c8a5.jpg  photo locals_zps94903aad.jpg  photo life_zps833f9710.jpg  photo style_zps18e553b9.jpg  photo travel_zpsab6f325a.jpg  photo seen_zpsfadfdee3.jpg

Sunday, December 8, 2013

I Should Know By Now

This is kind of the opposite of my last post, but after my day....totally necessary. I remember at 12, 15, 16, (and if I'm being totally honest) 18, thinking to myself that in college I'd have really figured it out. You know, have my life all together. I imagined myself with better style, prince charming, a rockin body, great study habits, always traveling and plans in the works for that dream job. Since 12, high school, moving out, and three years of college, there's a lot of knowledge in this noggin of mine. For example, I know that Koolaid isn't good for you and turns your mouth red, I should have listened to my parents all those years, and  the difference between a psychopath and sociopath. But the person I believed I would be at 21 apparently is still on vacation. The girl I expected to be would probably have learned these lessons long ago and would be in general, pretty freaking awesome, too bad at 21 I'm four coffees deep assessing Buffy the Vampire slayer as a career option.


So here it is, the life lessons I should have learned by now:
  • Procrastinating only means that on Sunday night when you could be going and doing something fun you will be at the kitchen table trying to figure out how early you would have to wake up if you wanted to put this off till Monday morning. 
  • You'll never do it in the morning.
  • Besides that your mom thinks turtle necks are a great fashionable piece and your dads still think your too young to date, they are pretty much right about everything. (Ughhhh even typing that was painful).
  • People's hearts, including your own, are more breakable than grammies fine china and there's no getting rid of that kind of scar.
  • It's OK to stay home and do nothing sometimes...Or clean the floor that never seems to clean itself.
  • If you wear white you're gonna drop something on it.
  • There's a bottom to 4 ft tall snowbanks and if you try and climb over them, you're gonna reach it. 
  • Always tell the truth.
  • After eating chicken tenders and just one more brownie, you still wont like salad without dressing or go for a run tomorrow.  

I'm not the girl, that at 12, I imagined I would be. Today I dropped ketchup down my white shirt while  climbing over the 4 ft tall snowbank that filled my moccasins, I was told I broke someones heart, there was no way I was getting salad for lunch, and I'm writing this instead of my 60 page essay or calling my mom back. But hey, I betcha in 5 years I will, you know, have it all figured it out. Till then....you can find 21 year old me skiing in CB wondering why onions aren't what repels vampires.

Happy Sunday.


1 comment:

  1. I love the things you think you should have learned by 21! I actually thought I had figured things out at 21, but ya know, life is this kind of wonderful, amazing journey where we can discover what we want to be when we grow up way after the time people think we must have grown up by now. I came over here from OLW. Thanks for sharing your blog. This post reminds me of what it is like to be 21, and it's pretty awesome.
    ~Marilee
    oh and I like your word.

    ReplyDelete